NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!

See "Background" for why and how I endangered my sanity in the extreme sport of dating and find out if I'll be brave/crazy enough to try it again

Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Day Before the Day

I was going to talk a little bit about that elusive prey, the single man in the DC-MD-VA area, and how unlike a single gal such as myself, he manages to go about his life probably un-self-medicated by the numbing blissfulness of the Twilight Saga and season two of the Gilmore Girls.  But I’m struck by the day or rather how this is the day before the 10th anniversary of when everything changed. 
There are these moments that define generations, for better or for worse, and September 11th certainly was that.  Such horrible acts of destruction and hate followed immediately with such selfless acts of courage and sacrifice do not occur frequently and when they do, the command our attention and sear their images into our collective memory.

Everyone of a certain age most certainly remembers where they were when they heard the news.  I was in a nondescript, windowless government building in a not-so-nice part of Washington D.C. and in the melee of orders to move to the first floor, then outside, then back in, I saw the smoke rising from the Pentagon.  And when we were finally released and the Metro was closed, as a very kind friend drove me home, I saw that sign of my country’s strength and power burning.  Watching the coverage numbly on television, I tried to get in touch with a roommate visiting her family in NY and my best friend from high school who lived in the city that had been so brutally shut down.  I dimly remember talking to my cousin in South Carolina who wanted to make sure I was ok and hearing tearfully of how my big strong brother had to be restrained from driving his truck through barriers over bridges to come rescue his baby sister from out of harm’s way. It felt surreal to me and I couldn’t even begin to imagine how it felt for those whose personal worlds were shattered, ended, or forever and inextricably altered.

And then I went back to work.  Grimly and fearfully and with the idea that what I was doing was supporting our nation, but so afraid that due to my inexperience and youth I would fail and people would be hurt.  It was a long couple of months and then suddenly and strangely things sort of went back to something approaching normal.  At least for me.  I knew that things would always be a little different than they had been– whatever feelings of safeness and sureness that had comforted me before, that was gone.  This new reality of different types of alerts, and searches and seizures, and wondering if when you flew, or rode the train, or worked in your office building, if that would be the last thing you did, that was hard to shake.  I tried very concertedly not to watch repeated coverage of the events or panic about what terrors lay in store for us next. 

But now, all the scenes are being replayed as we prepare for the 10th anniversary.  New alerts, new terrors, new worries, old fears.  What stands out, though, are the stories of hope.  The man who on 10 September promised a man tickets for a sporting event for his son to see his first car race, and made sure that even after the planes went down and the father never returned home, that the son still got to have some type of adolescent joy amidst the grief.  How the man in charge of security for a financial firm evacuated his group from the South Tower and then went back in to make sure everyone was safe and sound.  The chaplain who ran into the building along with the firefighters he served and who some survivors picture as leading the angels to greet those that were lost and take them safely to their eternal rest. 

And the countless men and women who were moved the events of that fateful day to lead lives of service and duty and remind us that although there are people in the world who are capable of unthinkable acts of violence and hatred, there are those who see all that and yet choose to care, to love, and to work to make things better. 

That is what I will try to do in remembrance of 9/11 and in looking to the future.  For although I don’t think we can go back to the way things were 10 years ago today, I do think we can choose compassion and hope instead of fear and anger.

And on that note, I’m going to hop-along outside with this glorious walking boot that so firmly encases my left leg and take my faithful canine companion out into the glorious sunshine that has ended the deluge of the past several days.  And then I’ll be off with my wondrous sister for one of the best sing-alongs imaginable, the Sound of Music.  I apologize in advance to those sitting near us as I plan on singing my heart out in my own special, tone-deaf manner.  I promise to at least make it entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment