NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!

See "Background" for why and how I endangered my sanity in the extreme sport of dating and find out if I'll be brave/crazy enough to try it again

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Warning Signs: Time for Action, Avoidance and/or Alcohol

Here are some signs that mean you better get your damn house in order:
  • Your therapist/stylist/coworker tells you that you look tired.
  • When people ask you about your love life, they don't even wait for the answer before they get their sympathetic face going. 
  • Laundry doesn't make it out of a wad in the laundry basket for days/weeks at a time.
  • You can't remember what you wanted to do when you grow up.
  • Everyone around you seems to have accomplished a major life goal: marriage, children, graduate degrees, dream career
  • Even your dog/cat looks annoyed at being the constant attendee to your pity party.
So when all those things happen in the space of a week or two, that's when you may be tempted to have a full-blown nervous breakdown. When you really need to worry is when you're too exhausted to get worked up over your ability to put a check mark next to all of those things.

I've been feeling pretty meh lately. Like I'm stuck in some sort of cosmic waiting room with really old magazines, awful lighting and hateful earworm inducing music. Or like I'm trapped in the less exciting parts of the movie Groundhog Day. You know, the one with Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell? Where even though you are extremely annoyed by how she pronounces the word "poetry" and her general aura, you are still a sucker for watching the movie every time it appears on cable TV? Well that's where I'm at lately.

So what's the answer? More dating websites? Actually going to a function organized by a Meetup group rather than just receiving and deleting emails about said groups and their events? Tossing everything aside to really crank my book (at least one of them) out? 

I honestly don't know. It's as if I'm in a sequester-fester. All the indecision in Washington and how it impacts my life and the lives of those around me seems to have permeated my views on life and ability to do something of substance. 

For now I think the temporary answer is to go to bed, catch up on some sleep, hope that my dog has forgiven me for going away this past weekend and that when I wake up tomorrow, Sonny and Cher won't be singing in the background while annoying DJ's talk about Punxsatawney Phil.

No comments:

Post a Comment