NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!

See "Background" for why and how I endangered my sanity in the extreme sport of dating and find out if I'll be brave/crazy enough to try it again

Monday, March 25, 2013

Do One Thing Every Day that Scares You

I'm sort of afraid of everything. I mean, I'm not like terrified of everything but I'm afraid of way too many things. These aren't crippling fears (like my date that was afraid of electricity) but they make me way too nervous.

I'm afraid of the normal things, like elevators, sharks, choking on something in my house with no one to do the Heimlich, needles, my dog getting sick or dying, me turning into a cranky and notorious spinster, and birds. Alright, I know that the bird thing is weird but I fear birds in captivity, like at the zoo in the aviary where you can walk through and birds fly right over your head. I fear that they'll decide they need their freedom and will peck my eyes out to enable an escape. And truthfully, I'm afraid of geese in and out of captivity. When I briefly lived in Bethesda, I had to walk past this mother goose and her babies on my way to the metro. Even though I didn't even look at them and certainly made no threatening gestures towards her or her babies, the mother goose would go berserk on me. That thing chased me to the metro every morning, hissing and flapping her wings.

But I'm also afraid of going anywhere new. I get extremely nervous when I have to go to a meeting or conference somewhere that I'm not familiar with; I would rather stay at home and stare at the walls than go somewhere new. I think that fear probably boils down to my overwhelming fear of embarrassing myself. I have a very distinct memory of being in some shop with my sister in England and seeing these little cards that say things about people born on certain days. It said that people with my birthday are easily embarrassed at almost anything. I even got embarrassed reading that.

I am terrified of what people think about me. I over-analyze what people say to me and how they say it, worrying that they think I'm crazy or stupid or annoying. I know that sounds nuts but I'm afraid of making a fool of myself or making people angry or frustrated with me like all the time.

Perhaps most of all, I'm afraid of people finding out how nervous and uncertain I am, how much I worry about their opinion of me. That's why I'm writing this. Eleanor Roosevelt said, "Do one thing every day that scares you." This is my thing for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment